UX CASE STUDY: CONCEPT / content strategy/ user research / prototypING / USability testing / visual design
Designing a product aimed at solving a problem in healthcare. The goal was to collect a user’s health data that often is scattered across various sources, into a cohesive and accessible format. User research was conducted, and insights formed the product design through personas, empathy maps, content strategy, information architecture, wireframes, prototypes, and user testing, with continuous iteration and testing. This is Healthprint…
Understanding the Problem
I bend down to hit the tennis ball coming across the net, I hear the sound of pop, and a buckling of my knee sends me dropping to the ground. I’m afraid to know what it is, but after researching orthopedic doctors, I make my way in to a new clinic to get it checked out. I see the form, the laundry list of questions about my medical history. This again…previous surgeries, allergies, medications, family history, the list goes on. When was that surgery I had? Where is the contact info of my primary care physician and why can’t I think of her name? What are the dosages of medications and supplements I’m taking? I fill out the form relying on memory, leaving several areas blank and call it good enough. Is good enough ok when you’re taking care of your health?
This app addresses these issues, collecting health data in one cohesive format, helping people take control of their health.
The process to solving the problem
I had an idea of what I wanted to solve, but do others have similar pain points? User research was the first step in identifying the behaviors of health seeking individuals – what are their current health tracking practices? Is tracking their health important to them? Using Google forms, I conducted a survey of targeted users. Survey participants who expressed an interest in talking further about their health were interviewed in person to gain deeper insights.
I was careful not to ask any leading questions but to ask open ended questions to get people to talk. I started to hear a pattern in two main pain points, the first of which surprised me.
1. Users that track the health data of family members say they tend to do so with more tenacity than their own health.
2. Users revealed frustration with having to recall a doctor’s name or clinic, when they had an appointment, and where those test results can be found.
Empathy Maps & Personas
In order to gain a deeper understanding of my users, I created two distinct personas using the research gathered from surveys and interviews. I focused on the behaviors and goals of my users, leaving demographics aside. Though the personas created are fictitious, they represent real feelings and behaviors of users. I also created an empathy map for each persona, helping me consider what and how my potential users are thinking and feeling.
Lean UX and MVP
With the insights gathered from research and personas, I focused on the most frequent user patterns and pain points with following features:
1. Import a health report from an exam
2. Add medications
3. Add another user with same health view
4. Doctor/practitioner contact info function
5. Calendar/appointments function
With the features identified, I created user stories that will help to keep the product user focused.
Information Architecture and User Flows
Taking the user stories further, I asked participants to organize the content through a card sorting session online using OptimalSort. With that data gathered, I was able to see how users categorize the features and label each grouping, leading to the outline of the information architecture. I then developed a site map and user flows to help see the structure and flow of pages. I created 3 different flows users would walk through to visualize those steps and how quickly they can get to their need.
Sketching & Wireframing
The designer in me was excited about this next phase: gathering all the content collected and see it come to life with sketching and wireframing. My focus at this stage was on optimizing the navigation and getting the user to their need quickly and easily.
Using Sketch and InVision, I adapted the wireframes into a clickable low fidelity prototype which was then tested to elicit user feedback.
Three participants were chosen for usability testing, moderated in person. Each participant was briefed before the meeting so expectations were set. Five scenario tasks were asked of each participant based on the MVP:
1. Input exam results
2. Find your mothers medications
3. Input a health appointment
4. Search a doctor’s contact info
5. Add a user
It was invaluable to hear participants talk out loud while navigating the app. I received great insights while they were questioning a task or adding their advice on what they expected to see. Based on the tasks performed and other feedback, I iterated and tested the following edits:
• Add a user: test plus symbol vs. text
• Exams: edit text to “Test Results”
• Calendar view: test the need for this function vs incorporating health info with other calendar apps (Google, Apple)
• Profiles: design function to upload a photo or icon to identify each user
• Doctor info: ability to import a doctor’s info from other Contacts apps
After several rounds of iterating and testing the prototype with targeted users and gaining valuable feedback of their needs, it was time to brand and design the app. The name Healthprint expresses the intent of the app, along with the personal imprint of ones health. A look and feel was then developed including color, typography, iconography, and style guide illustrating the visual hierarchy. The look and feel is one of soothing colors to evoke the sensitivity of health.